Corinne Pollard

I often start my introductions with a reference to something close to hand and then segue into the interview. Perhaps I'm becoming lazy, but on this occasion I'm starting with something that couldn't be any closer to hand: Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. The reason it's within reach is that, earlier this week, I purchased a new mousemat. I'm sure it must be every artist's dream to have their work printed onto a rubber surface which will eventually yellow with sweat from the owner's palm. As a consumer, I didn't set out with such a highbrow purchase in mind; when I scrolled past it on a page of a well known website, I simply thought why not? I suppose the appeal was that the man sitting by himself in the painting reminds me of the lonely pursuit of writing: spending endless nights alone while working through thoughts. It also goes rather well with my black and red mouse.

There are of course ways to making writing more sociable; one popular method is to attend writing groups. This week's guest runs The Bingley Writers group and that is how we met. Unfortunately, I have only been able to attend once (and that was about 18months ago!). Following that singular experience, I can see the benefit of attending regular meetings: encouraging a consistent writing routine, reading other works in progress and receiving feedback. Even though I haven't been able to join The Bingley Writers for a while, I have kept up to date with the group's activities and achievements through a monthly newsletter. It is thanks to those newsletters that I have read flash fiction and poetry that Corinne has written, and a recent flurry of publishing success made me decide that it was a good time to invite her onto the blog.

Corinne Pollard is a disabled UK horror and fantasy writer, published with Black Hare Press, Three Cousins Publishing, The Ravens Quoth Press, A Coup of Owls, and Raven Tale Publishing. With a degree in English Lit and Creative Writing, Corinne enjoys metal music, visiting graveyards, and shopping for books to read. Follow her dark world on Twitter and Instagram: @CorinnePWriter 

Framed image of Corinne Pollard edited using Canva

What do you think your daydreams say about you?

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always daydreamed, but while I think most people daydream about their desires and wants, I daydream my stories. Like a film, I picture my characters and press play, conjuring possible scenes. Sometimes I daydream about my own life with possibilities like if a meteor hit, how would I react? Quite far-fetched scenarios. I suppose my daydreams say I have a wild imagination.

If you happened to be called upon to be a supply teacher for a short period (à la jury service), what would you teach (other than creative writing or English)?

Having been a teacher, I’ve taught many of my favourite subjects already, but I’ve never taught mythology. I love myths and legends like King Arthur, Medusa, Pandora’s Box and Beowulf. I particularly like studying mythological creatures like the Minotaur, Phoenix, Dragons, and Sirens. I like reinventing them to include in my writing.

Could any of your characters be teachers? If so, what would they teach?

From my short story The Wandering Stranger (published in Eerie Christmas 3 by Black Hare Press), the character Nana Rowena is a great teaching figure. She upholds Pagan tradition in her family, teaching the little ones the importance of Yule when most families celebrate Christmas. I can see her as a teacher of religious studies because she’s very respectful.

If you could go back to school, what would you like to study that you didn’t originally?

I was very lucky to study all the subjects I wanted. If there had been a choice, I would have studied Psychology. I think it’s an interesting subject that could have prepared me more for my adult life as well as help me develop my characters further. School focused more on description, language and structure, and less on character development.

Thinking back to your time at school, might there have been a book in your satchel that wasn't on a reading list?

Often there would have been more than one book in my bag, but none from a reading list. I borrowed from my school’s library as well as the city library and read on my bus journey home or while waiting for a lift. I read mostly fantasy and one book I recall borrowing and existing in my satchel for so long, because it was such a big read, was Terry Goodkind’s Wizard’s First Rule. I was hooked and eventually the school library wanted to get rid of it so I still have that copy to this day. Of course, I bought the other books in the series too.

What else would have been in your satchel, and what are you carrying around at the moment?

Apart from my school things, I didn’t carry anything else. My school books were heavy as bricks and then I added my lunch box, planner and pencil case on top. I hauled it everywhere as we didn’t have lockers. How I didn’t permanently damage my back, I’ll never know. My PE kit was a bonus bag I carried too.

Currently, I carry around stuff I need for my disability. In my bag, I have glasses designed for light sensitivity, my blue badge, noise sensitivity ear plugs, medical lanyard, and any medication. That’s only what I need for a day out or a quick trip to the supermarket. You can imagine what I’d bring if I was sleeping over. The kitchen sink and more!

School’s out! If you had 24 hours to do anything you wanted (with unlimited funds and none of your usual responsibilities), what would you do?

I would design, build and buy my dream home! You did say unlimited funds so…it would be a Japanese styled bungalow with underfloor heating and a Japanese styled garden. There would be a gaming room and a library, of course! Inside it would be styled as alternative or gothic with key Japanese elements like sliding doors. It would be accessible, eco-friendly, disabled friendly, and mortgage free lol. Most importantly, it would be a writer’s paradise.

If such quick construction wasn't possible, I’d travel to Japan and splurge on sightseeing around the country, especially to destinations with a connection to manga and anime.

What was the latest daydream of yours that made the leap into the real world?

Early in my writing journey, I refused to write a ghost story. I was scared and thought it would be too hard, especially as I thought I couldn’t do anything new with the genre. Then I saw a short story submission call. I faced my fear and wrote what became Strawberry Hearts, a gothic ghost story about three characters, Alma, Edna and Harold, trapped in the ruins of a fire-wrecked house. I sent it to the submission call, and it was accepted, but then the anthology folded. I didn’t give up though. I sent it to other publishers until A Coup of Owls Press saw its potential. I am very proud of Strawberry Hearts in A Coup of Owls' anthology Other & Different.

The front cover of 'Other & Different' - an anthology of short stories by A Coup of Owls Press


It's probably time for a lesson. What single piece of advice would you like to share?

The best advice I’ve ever received and I am happy to share is that description is like the decoration on a cake. You don’t want too much decoration or it will destroy the cake’s structure and its deliciousness.

Now for the Random Question. What is the best museum you have ever been to?

Tough one. I’d say the National Museum of Scotland which is in Edinburgh. It’s free to enter, disabled friendly, and it is huge! I’ve visited it time and time again. I've never been bored there; I have always discovered something new or interesting. I highly recommend it.

 

Thank you, Corinne for answering my questions. I wish you all the best with your writing and I hope that The Bingley Writers group continues to provide a way for local writers to develop their craft together. 


Links

www.instagram.com/corinnepwriter

x.com/CorinnePWriter

If you are interested in joining The Bingley Writers, you can find their events listed on eventbrite








Comments

Popular Posts